Inside the Porthole:
- 3 large strawberries
- ½ medium sized Navel or Valencia orange
- 2 oz (60g) roasted cacao nibs
LIQUID TO BE ADDED:
- 7 oz (200g) Tequila Blanco (Herencia Mexicana)
- 2 3/4 oz (80g) Grand Marnier
Wash fruit. Quarter strawberries lengthwise, stem on, and fan-slice them. Cut orange cross-grain into 1/8” thick slices.
Arrange 6 strawberry fans in the Porthole, alternating skin and pulp facing the glass pane. Sprinkle half of cacao nibs on strawberries. Arrange a layer of orange slices. Sprinkle rest of cacao nibs on oranges. Arrange remaining strawberries, lightly packing the Porthole cavity.
Close Porthole, tighten screw, squeeze, snug screws, and check for good seal. Combine tequila and Grand Marnier.
Fill Porthole with combined liquids.
Infuse for a minimum of 30 minutes before sampling, consume within 4 hours (extended infusion of orange rind will turn the infusion bitter).
- We highly recommend using Herencia Mexicana Tequila Blanco for this particular cocktail but any quality white tequila with pronounced agave notes should work nicely.
- Sifting the cacao nibs will reduce chocolate dust clouding the infusion.
- To transform María Félix into a spicy La Valentina, add one medium dried chipotle pepper to ingredients.